Hands to Love campers are able to participate in many success-oriented activities specially adapted to each individual, including:
- Waterfront: Sailing, kayaking, canoeing, water skiing and splashing around in the swimming area are all part of the waterfront activities our families enjoy together (weather permitting).
- Archery: Kids of all ages are helped by their family pals and the Camp Crystal staff to take aim at the bull’s eye on the archery range!
- Ropes Course: The ropes course is an exciting challenge that our campers look forward to every year. Kids (and sometimes even parents) climb Camp Crystals ropes structure and gain a sense of inspiring confidence as they go for their personal best.
- Nature Walks: Guided by a Camp Crystal Lake nature expert, families learn about the local plants and animals and get to see all of the beautiful camp setting that we get to visit each year.
- Arts & Crafts: From jewelry making to group art projects to creative crafts, everyone goes home with a new hand-made treasure from the arts and crafts activities which are often messy, and always fun!
- Support Groups: Parents, kids with differences, and their siblings all have an opportunity to participate in professionally-led support groups. Whether discussion or activity based, we’ve taken note of what our families say they need and teamed with excellent mental health professionals, inspirational speakers, and amazing AULDs to provide meaningful support activities.
- Golf: Campers learn to put and drive at our “golf course.”
- Adaptation Fair: OTs, dentists and adapted physical education specialists recommend and create adapted solutions for each child’s difference. Parents and kids are also the experts at our adaptation fair as they share their creative adapted solutions to everyday activities.
- Special Guests: You never know who might show up as a Hand Camp special guest…a beauty queen, an Olympic athlete, or even the Gator Football Team!
- Creative Writing: Led by author Shelley Fraser Mickle, our creative writing workshops guide families to write and share stories about their experiences that sometimes make us cry or laugh, but are always uplifting and full of love.
- Campfire: We gather at the campfire to tell stories, meet special guests, and make delicious s’mores.
- Networking: Networking is at the heart of the Hand Camp weekend. Parents and children meet new friends, visit old ones, and develop connections that sustain them all year long.
Camp Crystal Lake in Starke, FL is the home of our annual Hand Camp event. CCL is open year-round as an outdoor education center. CCL’s amazing staff and camp director Tony Oyenarte make all our camp activities come to life and are an irreplaceable part of the camp experience.